Friday, February 13, 2009

New York Winter

So now I am blogging for World Youth Alliance. It has been almost a year since I was blogging regularly, so you will all have to forgive me for being rusty.

The sun is just starting to show itself in New York again, and the windy coming down the avenues doesn't bite the way it did several weeks ago. It seems that all of the interns and staff here are lifted by the nicer weather, given an extra kick. I think we are also all encouraged by the way things have been going at the UN. Last week and this we were at the Commission on Social Development at the United Nations. The interns were remarkable, canvassing the place, handing out language proposals and speaking with Delegations. When you have an idea as important as human dignity, it is not hard to find people to get excited about it.

I also went up to Fairfield University earlier this week for a presentation by two Broadway actors about their play, Irena's Vow. They talked about the decisions of Irena, a young Polish woman, who hid 12 Jews in her house from the Nazis during the war. Her heroism lay in doing what she could, though it might mean death. She did not bring down the Nazis, or win the war, but she saved lives and changed the turn of history, in her own small way.

I think of the multitudes out there, and the current situation in Gaza, in Darfur, in Congo and Sri Lanka- and it breaks my heart. I would like to fly over there and embrace those who are suffering, to shelter them from the bombs with these with this nimble frame, these frail arms and ribs. To brace myself against the falling ceiling and sky.

But I will think of Irena, who did what she could and no more, and her actions changed the world. I will serve this city, where I have been placed at the moment, where there is need enough. Dignity stretches from every corner of this earth, and is a message that needs to be heard by all. Each person's value is complete, inherent, sacred. We start by protecting one and at time, we put our hands to the simple tasks that are given us.

Time to get to work.

1 comment: